Monday, October 09, 2006

OCTOBER!

October!! Teh Yay! I love October! Open the windows, trim the bushes, spread the pine straw and then....trip to the pumpkin patch!!!! Alas, my youngest will be 14 this week...good news though, she still wants to trick or treat, Teh double Yay!! And let's not forget the Haunted Hayride put on by our local VFD!!! I think my sons are going to volunteer to dress up as zombies, fire up the fog machine and man the chain saws (sans chains) and scare us all again, they had a blast with it last year!

We don't get any T or T'ers way out in the country, but we decorate and buy candy anyway! Read E. A. Poe and Washinton Irving's Sleepy Hollow aloud! This is a must since I grew up in the town about which it was written - North Tarrytown, NY. My HS was actually named Sleepy Hollow HS and we were the Headless Horsemen LOL! After I moved away they renamed the town (village) Sleepy Hollow to take advantage of the tourism. We used to go to the Old Dutch Cemetery, tell ghost stories and wait to hear the Hooves of the Headless Horseman. It was as beautiful as good ole' WI described even when I lived there, it's grown and changed so much since then, I don't have the heart to go back. It was a perfect place to write fairey tales about and to be a kid...great memories!

Have a wonderful October and a Happy Halloween!

11 Comments:

At 9:45 AM, Blogger Rabbit said...

Yay! October!

A cold front is coming with rain tomorrow, so it will only be in the 60's.

Yesterday I was thinking of candied apples. The bright red kind from the fair.

Trick or treating as a child was almost as good as Christmas! Great memories you brought back, SFY!

Thanks!

 
At 4:28 AM, Blogger SBH said...

Thanks for sharing and say hi to teh kiddos from me! I loved reading your ode to Autumn. I love this time of year!

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger Southern Fried Yankee said...

Thanks Rabbit and SBH, You are both very kind for visitin'

Three cheers for October/Autumn! Teh Yay, Teh Yay, Teh Yay!

A mug of warm cider, candy apples and homemade popcorn wrapped in paper napkins and tied with yarn!

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger OttavaRima said...

Double dog Yay!

October is my favorite month. Thanks for reminding me. Can't wait to go buy pumpkins.

And thanks for visiting my tiny little blog and laughing with me over the evil salt water.

October in North Carolina. Not even the flu can make it completely unlovely.

 
At 2:32 AM, Blogger SBH said...

Well, I just came back and read the same entry again! And you know what? It's still as good teh second time through!

Teh yeah for October!

happy squeak

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger SBH said...

Ok, is it daytime on Wednesday there?

If so,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! To the Daughter of Teh House!!

And best wishes for many more from The Plague Fairy, Gerbil Ambassador to Teh Court of St. James.

(i've been waiting for days to wish her a happy b.day!)

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger Southern Fried Yankee said...

How thoughtful of you SBH! She (Elise) says, "Thank you very much!" and is grinning from ear to ear! This is also from her <3 it's a heart.

 
At 5:33 AM, Blogger SBH said...

Elise,

Pointy bracket followed by the number three. <3

Got it! Thanks!

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger SBH said...

Heh, now I'm ready for November's installment, as you caught October so well...

SQueak!

 
At 1:49 AM, Blogger SBH said...

Ok, I'm all ready for teh November edition. Let's have it!
At least get teh daughter to write an entry...we await a Thanksgiving update! Teh Yeah!

(miss you)

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger Rabbit said...

I miss you, too.
Please drop in at teh wheel & say hi.
I hope you have a Merry Christmas if I don't hear from you before then.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home